Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #13,126 of 13,139
Hello guys,
My LCD-2 rev2 prefaz's right driver died today after a long time left unused. I am so disappointed. I have always cosseted my headphone through the years though the pads and stock cable have kept falling apart.
In recent years I have realized that if my LCD2 was not paired with the best class-A or tube amps that had great microdynamic and thin sound sign, the headphones could not compete with good dynamic headphones in term of musicality and depth of music. But it is good to have a beautiful planar headphone nearby :frowning2:(
Sorry for your loss.

Feb 8, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #13,127 of 13,139
Spinning some vinyl with the LCD2 tonight, which I admittedly have neglected as newer shinier stuff has caught my attention. These things never fail to make me smile.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #13,129 of 13,139
lcd2.jpg
lcd22.jpg

Since my lcd2 is the 2016 version, I had the old headband with dekoni nuggets installed for a while. Then I upgraded from the old headband to the new suspension headband, still didn't like it and finally just bought a zmf crescent snap headband and now my lcd2s finally feel comfortable vs just bearable from normal suspension headband. Middle button won't close as the leather strap is too wide.

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #13,130 of 13,139
Audeze uses fazors on both sides of the driver. Anyway, made some modifications to 3D model. Even though I only used pictures as reference I think it's very close to original fazor. If someone plans to use them on LCD-2C the outside fazor needs to be sanded down in order to fit. I think the cups on 2C are shallower than on other models.

LCD2wg.jpgIMG_1567.jpg

Had them professionally 3D printed at 0.08mm layer height. For only 25€ a much better result than I managed on my own.

As far as the sound goes. Less distortion in highs (especially claps). less bass. I wouldn't say more detailed, just that the quality of highs is improved. As far as darkness etc. I couldn't comment because I use EQ. Honestly, 60$ Razer Blackshark gaming headphones have better stock tuning than LCD-2.

Link for the 3D model: Sketchfab
@Someguy420 , could your please change your model on Sketchfab to downloadable?
I really want it too but Sketchfab doesn't allow me to download it

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #13,131 of 13,139
Anyone know if there are any sonic differences from a new LCD 2 compared the LCD 2C?

I would prefer to get the LCD 2 with the Rosewood as it looks stunning but I am not sure if the LCD 2C sound the same or better?

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #13,132 of 13,139
Anyone know if there are any sonic differences from a new LCD 2 compared the LCD 2C?

I would prefer to get the LCD 2 with the Rosewood as it looks stunning but I am not sure if the LCD 2C sound the same or better?
Oh, there are definitely differences, particularly since the LCD-2 has the fazor waveguides and the LCD-2C does not. The LCD-2 is to my ears unquestionably technically superior but some people like the more relaxed tuning of the 2C.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #13,134 of 13,139
For anyone who has, do you find it worth the 200$ to upgrade the headband on the LCD-2F to the Carbon Fiber/Leather from Audeze's site?

Also, for anyone moving on from the LCD-2s what would you suggest for something that would sound similar, but with better comfort and lighter - around the same price range?

May 7, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #13,135 of 13,139

I'll give some input on this as well. I home demo'd a LCD-2C a little over 2 years ago, and then listened to a Rosewood version almost immediately afterwards. I enjoyed both, but I ended up purchasing the Rosewood. The 2C is a little warmer all around, not as detailed, and significantly cheaper, but the Rosewood is all around better, technically. Not to mention that it looks much, much better. Both are nice. I like warmer signatures and still went with the Rosewood.

May 7, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #13,136 of 13,139
Audeze uses fazors on both sides of the driver. Anyway, made some modifications to 3D model. Even though I only used pictures as reference I think it's very close to original fazor. If someone plans to use them on LCD-2C the outside fazor needs to be sanded down in order to fit. I think the cups on 2C are shallower than on other models.

Had them professionally 3D printed at 0.08mm layer height. For only 25€ a much better result than I managed on my own.

As far as the sound goes. Less distortion in highs (especially claps). less bass. I wouldn't say more detailed, just that the quality of highs is improved. As far as darkness etc. I couldn't comment because I use EQ. Honestly, 60$ Razer Blackshark gaming headphones have better stock tuning than LCD-2.

Link for the 3D model: Sketchfab
If you can make the model downloadable, I can 3D print them for anyone here that wants them, just ask that you cover shipping/filament cost.

I should be able to get the print quality a bit better than it looks in your pic too.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #13,137 of 13,139
If you can make the model downloadable, I can 3D print them for anyone here that wants them, just ask that you cover shipping/filament cost.

I should be able to get the print quality a bit better than it looks in your pic too.
Should be able to download now. Didn't even realise that downloads were off... I remember that I had to sand the outside fazor for it to fit under the cover plate. You could modify the model to make it fit without sanding.

May 7, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #13,138 of 13,139
I'll give some input on this as well. I home demo'd a LCD-2C a little over 2 years ago, and then listened to a Rosewood version almost immediately afterwards. I enjoyed both, but I ended up purchasing the Rosewood. The 2C is a little warmer all around, not as detailed, and significantly cheaper, but the Rosewood is all around better, technically. Not to mention that it looks much, much better. Both are nice. I like warmer signatures and still went with the Rosewood.
So sad many say the 2c sounds differently from the rev2 prefaz (rosewood) ver of the LCD2. Cause I am planning to buy a 2c to get the driver for replacing a dead-of-no-reason one on my rev2 LCD2. I am very hesitating about this plan because sometimes I want to listen to planar sound but I have many better headphones now ie. hd6xx hd800s. The usage time for the LCD2 will be too little to justify a pair of used 2c or the driver replacement cost that Audeze quoted me.

May 7, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #13,139 of 13,139
Should be able to download now. Didn't even realise that downloads were off... I remember that I had to sand the outside fazor for it to fit under the cover plate. You could modify the model to make it fit without sanding.
Thanks, that worked. I went ahead and modified it and shrunk the height of the wave guide a bit. It should fit like this, but I don't have a LCD-2C on hand to verify. If anyone wants to test it out, let me know. Attached is a pic of the original model and the model with the modified height I adjusted side-by-side. Also did a test print, came out great.

Attachments

• IMG_2523.jpeg
    IMG_2523.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • fazor.png
    fazor.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back