Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
May 27, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #931 of 933
Can't say I know the Grand 8 line, but hey, see what you think. Just going on my own experience of the various Lavricables I've owned in the past. You asked for comparisons.... 🤷‍♂️
đź‘Ť

Jun 9, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #933 of 933
After a long absence from using IEMs, I was enticed back in by some of the latest models now available. Equipped with some high-end models, I wanted to experiment with a TOTL cable. In the past, I’ve methodically worked my way up the Arctic Cable lineup for over-ear headphone cables. This time I went straight to their flagship IEM cable, the Legato.

I should note here that I am pushing 60 and have significant hearing loss above 11khz. I don’t know how that impairment might impact my preferences vs someone with that issue.

It's a bright, revealing cable. I started by using it with a 64 Audio Volur, which is very bassy and bit thin in the mids and treble. I had been using an Eletech silver cable (Cassiel), which did improve those bands. However, it really opens up with the Legato. The bass is still preserved but now I have much more details in the vocals that had seemed recessed.

The revelation was with the Empire Ears Odin. The Odin had been my all-rounder, I had been using the Volur and Raven for a more “fun” sound signature. However, with the Legato the bass on the Odin has a lot more detail and the other bands are much more full. Listening to the opening sequence of Billie Elish’s Bad Guy, it sounded like she was breathing into my ear and I experienced an ASMR-like tingling. The Odin’s stock cable had good imaging for the same track, but the Legato brought a realism and presence that I did not expect.

I'm also eager to try it with an Empire Ears Raven but unfortunately my unit needs to be sent in to have its 2-pin ports tightened; at the moment neither the stock cable or the Legato fit tightly enough to maintain the connection. If the Raven synergizes as well as the Odin did, I’m seriously tempted to buy another Legato for it. Love it that much.

I was concerned that the 6-wire configuration of the Legato might be too heavy and stiff. It definitely has more heft than the Eletech Cassiel and Raphael cables but I do find them uncomfortably heavy at all. On the other hand, the one criticism I have of the Legato is that the earhooks are not sufficiently curved for my taste and are stiffer (perhaps because of the thicker wire bundle or the type of heat shrink tubing). The upshot is that, while not intrusive, I remain aware of the Legato, whereas the Eletech Cassiel and Raphael quickly disappear. That said, the sound quality improvement more that makes up for that.

Summary: I expected some improvement but anticipated that this would be an area of diminishing returns. I was truly surprised at what I perceived as significant differences, especially with my Empire Ears Odin IEMs.

IMG_0695.jpeg
IMG_0696.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back